- "The reason the Jedi Civil War was named such, was because few in the galaxy can recognize the difference between the Sith and the Jedi. To them, they are both Jedi—with different philosophies."
- —Mical Tironis[src]
The Jedi Civil War was a war between the Second Sith Empire and the combined forces of the Galactic Republic and Jedi Order. The conflict began when Revan, a Jedi Knight who led the Republic to victory in the Mandalorian Wars, formed the Second Sith Empire and declared himself Dark Lord of the Sith. After having left Republic space in the aftermath of the Mandalorian Wars, Darth Revan returned with his apprentice, Darth Malak, and his forces in 3,959 BBY to conquer the Republic.
Revan and his forces crippled the Republic during the years-long fight. A Jedi strike team was sent to capture Revan, and Malak turned on his master during the encounter. The Dark Lord's memory was erased while Malak declared himself leader of the Sith. Without any memory of who he was, Revan was assigned to Bastila Shan, who had led the strike team to capture him.
Over time, Revan "learned" that he was Force-sensitive and was once again trained as a Jedi. Along with Shan, Carth Onasi, and a number of others, he set out to find the Star Forge, a powerful space station that supplied the seemingly never-ending flow of Sith forces. They located Star Maps on Dantooine, Kashyyyk, Manaan, Tatooine, and Korriban that led them to the Star Forge, where Republic forces destroyed it and defeated the Second Sith Empire. The war came to an end and the forces of the dissolved empire scattered across the galaxy, as did the few remaining Jedi.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode I - The Chosen One (Mentioned only)